How Long Can You Keep Bottled Water?
When it comes to stockpiling water, the big question is how long can you keep bottled water. The answer to this question depends on how it is stored and the type of bottle that you are using.
(Looking for water filtration comparisons? Contact us today!)
- Plastic bottles, in general, have a shelf life of 2 years when unopened and a year once opened.
The lifespan of a plastic bottle is dependent on the quality and amount of packaging used to store the bottle, as well as its storage conditions. When the bottle is stored improperly, the plastic will deteriorate over time, and this could cause it to leak.
- The water inside the bottle will also deteriorate, this is mainly caused by heat and the sun.
- The bottles themselves will deteriorate with time, this is caused by UV light exposure and the heat of the sun.
- The water in the bottles will start to smell and taste bad after a few months of exposure to the sun, and this can be a real problem if you are in a survival situation or you are storing bottled water for extended periods of time.
- Water bottles can be insulated with a cheap insulation blanket or windscreen shade, which will help them to stay cool for longer.
- Stainless steel and aluminum bottles with double-wall insulating technology can keep drinks cold for up to 12 hours, while regular plastic water bottles are usually only able to keep a drink cool for 45 minutes at most.
- Ice can be added to a container filled with water, which will cause the water to freeze faster and keep it cooler for longer.
- Boiling the water for a few minutes can kill pathogens that can be in the water, such as bacteria, protozoa, and viruses.
- Storing the water in a dark place away from direct sunlight will prolong its life.
A dark place can also prevent algae growth, which can grow when exposed to sunlight or heat.
Besides that, the water will not be as likely to become contaminated by petrol or pesticides, which can seep into the bottle and make it harmful to consume.
- If you are using a water bottle that is reusable, it can be kept for up to five years.
There are many reusable plastic water bottles available, but be sure that you choose a reusable water bottle that is safe and has a good seal. Some of these bottles are made from phthalates and BPAs, which can be harmful to the human body when consumed.
If you are looking for a more durable water bottle, consider purchasing a glass bottle or a vacuum-sealed bottle that has a tight sealing system to keep the odor and taste of the water out.
You can also purchase a water bottle with a screw on the top, which makes it easy to keep the cap on the bottle and prevents leaks. These bottles will also last longer than their disposable counterparts but are more expensive to purchase.