What steps should you take before a water restoration company arrives?
Water damage can occur suddenly and unexpectedly, resulting in devastating consequences. Whether it is a burst pipe, a flood, or a leaking roof, water damage can lead to serious structural and health issues if not dealt with properly. Calling a water restoration company is often the best course of action to mitigate the damage, but there are steps that can be taken before the professionals arrive. In this article, we’ll explore what steps you should take before a water restoration company arrives.
(Looking for “Quick Water Testing“? Contact us today!)
- Turn Off the Water Source: The first step when dealing with water damage is to turn off the water source. This will prevent further damage and help to contain the problem. If the source of the water is a burst pipe or a leaking roof, turn off the main water supply. If the water is coming from a flood or a natural disaster, wait until it is safe to do so.
- Turn Off Electricity: If the water damage is significant, there may be a risk of electrocution. Turn off the electricity to the affected area to avoid any electrical hazards.
- Protect Yourself: Water damage can lead to mold growth, which can cause health problems. Wear protective clothing, including gloves, masks, and boots, before entering the affected area.
- Move Items Out of Harm’s Way: Move any items that are not damaged out of the affected area. This will help to prevent further damage and make it easier for the water restoration company to access the area.
- Document the Damage: Before the water restoration company arrives, document the damage by taking photos and videos. This will help to support your insurance claim and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the damage. Provide them with the details of the damage and the steps you have taken to mitigate it.
- Call a Professional Water Restoration Company: Finally, call a professional water restoration company to assess the damage and begin the restoration process. Make sure you choose a reputable company with experience in dealing with water damage.
In conclusion, water damage can be a serious problem that requires immediate attention. Before a water restoration company arrives, turn off the water source, turn off electricity, protect yourself, move items out of harm’s way, document the damage, contact your insurance company, and call a professional water restoration company. By taking these steps, you can minimize the damage and ensure that the restoration process is as smooth and effective as possible.